Making your own DIY scratch off cards with a hidden message is actually really simple, and they make the perfect surprise for lots of occasions.
Scratch off cards are particularly good for giving to loved ones on special occasions such as a bridesmaid proposal or pregnancy announcement.
The idea is that by making your own scratch off cards, you can handwrite the secret message that will be revealed when the recipient starts rubbing it with a coin.
Buy Your DIY Scratch off card supplies
To make your own scratch off cards, you will need:
- A5 Cards or Postcards
- Calligraphy pen
- Felt tips or watercolour
- Scratch off stickers
Click on the links above to see the best scratch off card-making supplies to buy and where.
Tutorial: Make Handmade Scratch Off Cards
- Start by taking your A5 card and working out where you will want to place your main element, the scratch off sticker (but don’t stick it yet).
- If necessary, trace lightly around the sticker in pencil, then write your message within that area, leaving a bit of room at the edge.
3. Carefully place your scratch off sticker over your handwritten message, ensuring you centre the text as best you can.
4. Decorate around the sticker according to the occasion the card is for. If it’s a scratch off birthday card, you could do balloons. If it’s a scratch off pregnancy announcement, something subtly baby related would work best.
5. Add any other text you want on your card. It’s a good idea to add “Scratch me!” in small handwriting next to the scratch off sticker, just in case the recipient doesn’t realise that it is a card with a hidden message!
6. Hand over your handmade scratch off card to the recipient – you might want to include a coin to help them scratch!
The Best Scratch Off Stickers To Buy
Scratch off stickers are surprisingly easy to come by – the most obvious place is of course, Amazon. Here are the best scratch off stickers on Amazon for all your DIY scratch off card projects:
Where To Buy Scratch Off Cards
If you’re not feeling super creative, then you can buy customised scratch off cards very affordably on Etsy.
Scratch Off Bridesmaid Cards
There are plenty of beautiful examples of scratch off bridesmaid cards on Etsy. The best thing is that you can pick the design that will go best with your wedding theme. It’s great way to do a bridesmaid proposal.
Scratch Off Pregnancy Announcement Cards
Another great occasion for making scratch off cards is to do an pregnancy announcement. It’s very cute to write the secret message that your loved one is going to become a grandparent/aunt/uncle etc and enjoy the look on their face as the scratch off pregnancy announcement card reveals the message!
What Occasions Are Scratch Off Cards Good For?
Here are the most popular occasions to make or give a scratch off card with a hidden message:
- Bridesmaid & flower girl proposals
- Scratch off Valentines Day card
- Engagement announcement
- Pregnancy announcement
- Thank you cards
- Congratulations cards
Hopefully you now feel fully ready to take on your own homemade scratch off cards project – don’t forget to let us know how it goes in the comments!